Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cracks starting to show

I started to see cracks in this nice facade (that was the mother's group) when we had a new mother join the group. Narelle* came from Africa and was starting a new life here with her husband and child.
She obviously had no family or friends here (to begin with) and few possessions.
Therefore, I would drive her around (when possible) and tried to include her in our group catch ups.

Narelle has never commented on her first meeting with the 'ladies' in the mother's group but I can say they were very rude. They hardly gave her the time of day and treated her like an outsider.
I don't know if she was aware of this behaviour or not as I made sure she felt welcome and would organise play dates with her daughter and mine.

Narelle ended up having to go to work full time so although we kept in contact (and still do) it meant the end of her association with the 'Mother's group'.

No comments:

Post a Comment